Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Writing for Pay is Hard Work and Demoralizing



A book critique I had done by a published author almost turned my writing world upside down! 

I expected she would love my book. But she tore it apart with red ink everywhere! 

I let it simmer for some time, packing the brown envelope away into a drawer, before ever returning to it. 




When I returned to the manuscript, I took her criticism to heart and re-wrote almost the entire book. Then I went ahead and published a new version on my own deciding not to get another critique or hire a professional editor. 

I charge about the price of a Starbucks Grande for my books. KDP takes their cut of the payment. In that case, why would I invest $500 or so in something where I may earn back less than $100? 


This is my blog and a place where I'm allowed to vent. It is my safe space. So here it goes:

Writers give up plenty of free time because they have something to say and love writing. It's as simple as that. 

Being a Christ-follower, I know Jesus said, a worker deserves her wages. That being said, Jesus doesn't seem to shower me with income from my writing. It's pretty independable! That part I will never understand this side of heaven. I mean, if He called me to be his scribe, why not pay me a decent worldly income for doing so? 


Putting out a blog post, article, or Kindle book in front of the general public is scary. Selling any book or article is a risk. It's one I take regularly. 







No comments: